The Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) has declared the 17 finalists for its 2022 Design Excellence Awards. This year’s selection includes building types ranging from libraries and learning institutions to residences and performing arts venues.
Chosen by a jury of design experts, the projects serve as the short list for the award winners, which will be announced next month.
Selected from more than 80 eligible submissions, the 17 finalists were judged on criteria such as creativity, context, sustainability, good design/good business, and legacy. The selections, in alphabetical order, are as follows:
- Buddy Holly Hall of Performing Arts and Sciences (Lubbock, Texas) by Diamond and Schmitt Architects Incorporated (Design Architect), Parkhill (Architect of Record), and MWM Architects Inc. (Associate Architect);
- Centennial College Downsview Campus Centre for Aerospace and Aviation (Toronto, Ontario) by MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects Ltd. In association with Stantec Architecture Ltd.;
- Clearview Public Library, Stayner Branch (Stayner, Ontario) by Lebel & Bouliane Inc.;
- Craven Road Micro House (Toronto, Ontario) by Anya Moryoussef Architect;
- m.o.r.e. Cabin (La Peche, Quebec) by Kariouk Architects;
- Ontario Tech University Shawenjigewining Hall (Oshawa, Ontario) by Montgomery Sisam Architects. In joint venture with Architecture Counsel Inc.;
- Orillia Community Recreation Centre (Orillia, Ontario) by MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects Ltd.;
- The Osler Bluff Ski Club (Town of the Blue Mountains, Ontario) by Williamson Williamson Inc.;
- Ottawa Art Gallery Expansion (Ottawa, Ontario) by Barry Padolsky Associates Inc. Architects and KPMB Architects (Advocate Architects)/EBC Inc., DevMcGill, and Groupe Germain with Régis Côté et Associés (DBFM Consortium)/LEMAYMICHAUD (Private-Sector Tower Architects);
- SmartVMC Bus Terminal (Vaughan, Ontario) by Diamond and Schmitt Architects Incorporated;
- The Springdale Library and Komagata Maru Park (Brampton, Ontario) by RDH Architects Inc.;
- Tile House (Toronto, Ontario) by Kohn Shnier Architects;
- Tom Patterson Theatre (Stratford, Ontario) by Hariri Pontarini Architects;
- Tommy Thompson Park Entrance Pavilion (Toronto, Ontario) by DTAH Architects Limited;
- University College Revitalization (Toronto, Ontario) by Kohn Shnier Architects. In association with E.R.A. Architects Inc.;
- University of Toronto Myhal Centre for Engineering Innovation and Entrepreneurship (Toronto, Ontario) by Montgomery Sisam Architects Inc. In association with Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios; and
- Visitor Education Centre at Canadian National Vimy Memorial (Nord-Pasde-Calais, France) by Robertson Martin Architects Incorporated and John Lampros Architect.
The declared winners will be honoured at the OAA Conference in Toronto this May, along with the unveiled winners of the Michael V. and Wanda Plachta Award; the Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Design Excellence in Architecture; and the People’s Choice Award, which asks members of the public to vote for their favourite winner.