Registration is still open for CONSTRUCT & the CSI Annual Convention, coming to Providence’s Rhode Island Convention Center from September 13 to 15. Featuring exhibits, social events, and myriad opportunities to expand technical knowledge, the conference appeals to a wide variety of design/construction professionals—both in CSI and beyond.
The event’s educational program was determined by an Education Advisory Council comprising 12 people:
- Susanne Connors Bowman, CAE, of CSI;
- Edmund L. Brown, CSI, CCCA, Assoc. AIA, of SEBREE Architects;
- Nina Giglio, FCSI, CCS, of Perkins Eastman;
- Chris Hardy of Sasaki;
- Cherise Lakeside, CSI, CDT, of Ankrom-Moisan Architects;
- Eric D. Lussier, CSI, CDT, of Precision Athletic Surfaces;
- Christopher O’Hara, PE, SECB, of Studio NYL;
- Brent Redmon, CSI, CDT, of Gwinnett County Public Schools;
- Di Ann Reid, CCS, CCCA, of Gensler;
- Floyd Sterling, FCSI, CDT, of Shreve Land Constructors;
- Sheldon Wolfe, RA, FCSI, CCS, CCCA, CSC, of BWBR; and
- Corey S. Zussman, AIA, NCARB, ALA, REWC, RWC, RRO, CDT, CQM, LEED AP, of Pepper Construction.
Educational opportunities are available throughout the convention center, from designated technical sessions to show floor-based seminars led by exhibitors. Attendees can visit the exhibit hall’s Learning Lounge for one-hour sessions on subjects such as paint technology, wall/roof sheathing, and wood cladding. A Learning Pavilion is also located in the hall, hosting 45-minute exhibitor sessions covering everything from security glass to thermal efficiency.
CONSTRUCT attendees can also attend a keynote with Pritzker Prize-winning architect Thom Mayne on September 14, and a Game Changer Session with Paul Doherty (“Specifications in the Age of Smart Cities: How Specs are Changing the World”) on September 15. See the video above for a preview of the latter session.
Other featured sessions include:
- “What Is a Building Enclosure?” and “Roofing: Where the Building Touches the Sky,” presented by Joseph Lstiburek, PhD;
- “The Complete Wall: Hands-on Demo of Detailing for a Continuous Air, Water, and Thermal Assembly,” presented by Tiffany Coppock;
- “Let’s Fix Construction: An Interactive Luncheon,” presented by Cherise Lakeside, CSI, CDT, and Eric D. Lussier, CSI, CDT;
- “Specifying Target Value Delivery,” presented by Beth Stroshane; and
- “Understanding and Ending Moisture-related Flooring Problems,” presented by Peter Craig and Scott Tarr.
Other opportunities for hands-on learning include product demonstrations on the show floor and technical tours covering John J. Sbrega Health and Science Building and historical structures such as John Brown House and the Education Center of First Unitarian Church.