East of downtown Kingston, Ont., overlooking the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario, the Royal Military College (RMC) is notable for its blend of modern academic, athletic, and dormitory facilities, with century-old buildings.
Over the last 40 years, the Canadian roofing market has experienced growth in product diversity, expectation, and demand. In short, there are many different acceptable systems and solutions to offer long-term rooftop service. These assemblies have been challenged to provide performance criteria beyond just keeping water out of the building.
Durability is a hallmark of brick masonry construction, but even time-tested materials require maintenance to ensure a long life. Managing a property listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places or a protected historic resource may also mean negotiating conservation standards, treatment guidelines, provincial or municipal regulatory restrictions, and community interests.
The Alberta Legislature Building in Edmonton opened its doors on September 3, 1912. Serving as the permanent home to the Alberta provincial government, it has become an historic site. Decades after its construction, the two feature terra-cotta-clad domes needed restoration and replacement.
When first constructed in 1931, Trafalgar Condominium Apartments in Montréal had a significant presence along the city’s downtown skyline. Reaching 10 storeys, the numerous turrets, chimneys, and gable front dormers atop the brick building’s steep-pitched copper roof gave the residence an imperial appearance—similar to a medieval castle dating back to the turn of the century.
When the Toronto Maple Leafs moved into the Air Canada Centre (ACC) in 1999, not only was the world-famous Maple Leaf Gardens venue left empty, but there was also silence at ice level and in the seats for the first time in more than 60 years.
Located on Mount Allison University’s campus in Sackville, N.B., the Owens Art Gallery is the oldest university art gallery in Canada.1 Officially opened in 1895, the gallery was designed in the elegant Beaux-Arts style by highly regarded Toronto-based architect, Edmund Burke (Figure 1). Locally quarried and fabricated olive sandstone was used to construct the traditional mass masonry exterior walls, and decorative terra cotta friezes bearing the names of famous artists were incorporated within the front and side elevations and supported on circular sandstone columns.