Alberta WoodWorks is organizing a one-day workshop on “Engineering Essentials for Timber Design” in several cities. The event will take place at the Coast Plaza Hotel and Conference Centre, Calgary, on May 7 and the Matrix Hotel, Edmonton, on May 8.
The workshop includes a presentation by Ghasan Doudak from the University of Ottawa.
The workshop covers basic engineering topics while delving deeper within each design area. It is a multilevel program suitable for beginners as well as experienced timber designers and specifiers. Some of topics to be covered include:
- designing wood members for bending, tension, compression, and combined bending and axial tension;
- background on published design values and adjustment factors;
- design limitations and when a designer should venture outside current code provisions;
- estimating and managing building shrinkage;
- avoiding frequent mistakes/misunderstanding of certain design provisions in the Canadian Wood Design Manual tables;
- general design concepts for timber connections;
- an introduction to seismic/wind loads design; and
- simple design with cross-laminated timber (CLT).
For more information, click here.