This new application method makes large building construction in winter easier for builders and contractors. It can be as cold as -20 C (-4 F) outside and one can apply the ccSPF as soon as the exterior sheeting is installed on the first floor of a building. As ccSPF is resistant to water, there is no need for the building to be completely watertight before applying insulation. This saves on heating costs during construction as the insulated floor can be heated right away. There is no need to have heating without insulation, which often creates condensation or frost issues.
Also, there is only one product to install, so it is easy.
This application method is getting a lot of traction with building projects as it easily meets new insulation requirements regarding U-value or effective R-value and it can be done with an hydrofluoroolefin (HFO)-based ccSPF. Other advantages include:
- no scaffolding or vessel necessary, less machinery required, therefore less rental cost, logistics, and risk of accident;
- less materials, therefore time and cost savings for execution;
- avoids exterior compartmentalization (National Building Code [NBC] article 22.214.171.124.);
- Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (CAN/ULC) S101, Standard Methods of Fire Endurance Tests of Building Construction and Materials,-tested assembly for high rise buildings (>3 storeys);
- sequencing of work is simpler and easier to manage for the superintendent since there are less workers to execute each step;
- avoids overspray;
- avoids having to install an interior furring in comparison with a fibreglass insulated cavity where the electricity cannot run through the stud cavity; and
- for facility owners/managers and building occupants it provides a healthy, economical, and durable living space.
Are there any downfalls to this application method?
Duzyk: In order for this method to be successful, it cannot be applied by just anybody. It must be done by a certified ccSPF installer. For those on the work site, it provides many more benefits in term of addressing thermal performance, air leakage control, and moisture management when successfully applied by a qualified ccSPF installer.
What kinds of construction products are good for this application?
Duzyk: The construction products that should be used in this application are:
- exterior finish (with hat channels or brick ties);
- transition membrane only for exterior watertightness;
- closed-cell insulation products that leverage liquid blowing agent technology;
- exterior sheeting;
- steel studs; and
- interior finish.
What are the benefits to the builders and contractors for using this method?
Duzyk: It provides time and labour efficiency and budget savings.