Toronto’s City Hall and Civic Square, and the Strutt House in Québec, have been recognized by Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) and Heritage Canada National Trust (HCNT) with the Prix du XXe siècle.
The award is presented to a landmark building that has made a lasting contribution to Canadian architecture and remains in use without being altered in such a way the original design intent was lost.
The design for Toronto City Hall and Civic Square by Viljo Revell and John B. Parkin Associates (now NORR Limited Architects Engineers Planners) was selected from an international competition in 1958. The building was completed in 1965 with two curving office towers and a large civic square. Included in the plaza are a reflective pool/ice rink, three concrete arches, and a sloping ramp.
Strutt House, a geometric home designed by James W. Strutt in Gatineau, Que., features Canada’s first wooden hyperbolic paraboloid roof. This assembly features large expanses of glass and undulating ceilings.
The awards will be distributed as part of the 2014 MAA/RAIC Festival of Architecture taking place in Winnipeg May 28 to 31.
Click here for more information.