Last month, the Landscape Ontario Horticultural Trades Association (LOHTA) announced the winners of its annual Awards of Excellence. Intended to encourage and reward innovation in Ontario landscaping, these awards include a broad category for construction, maintenance, and design. To qualify, projects must have been completed no more than four years ago.
Judges award projects based on qualities such as:
- effectiveness of design;
- co-ordination of design elements, plants, and landscape materials;
- resolution of site and installation challenges;
- esthetic appearance; and
Winners for this year’s multi-residential and industrial commercial construction category in the $100,000 to $250,000 range were:
- Bienenstock Natural Playgrounds (project designed by Jordan Vander Klok); and
- Earthscape Ontario (project designed by Anne Gilson).
In the same category, but in the range exceeding $250,000, winners were:
- Oakridge Landscape Contractors Ltd. (project designed by Paul Gorie of Brook Mcilroy);
- Rutherford Contracting Ltd. (project designed by Ian Dance of Dillon Consulting Ltd.);
- Bienenstock Natural Playgrounds (project designed by Rachel Isaacs); and
- CSL Group (project designed by Mark Zuzinjak of GSP Group Inc.).
Oakridge Landscape Contractors Ltd. was named the sole winner in this category’s $50,000 to $100,000 range, thanks to a project designed by Al Regehr. Similarly, a project designed by Lisa Leblanc of Plantenance Design earned Plantenance Landscape Group the theme garden category’s only win.
The following firms were named winners in the water features category:
- Yards Unlimited Landscaping Inc. (project designed by Stephanie Scott);
- HACKStONe Landscapes (project designed by Fran Moore of Vogel Landscape Design);
- Hill’N Dale Landscaping (project designed by James Godbold);
- BonaVista Pools Ltd. (projects designed by David Mather of DCM Design and Scott McQuaig of Eden Tree Design, respectively); and
- Premier Landscaping & Design Ltd. (project designed by Wendy Berger and Joe Morello).
In special interest construction, the following firms were celebrated:
- Kim Price Landscape Design Inc. (project designed by Kim Price);
- the Landmark Group (two projects, both designed by Andrew Lansdale);
- Dr. Landscape Inc. (two projects, both designed by Anthony Lombardi);
- Earthscape Ontario (project designed by Nathaniel Grant);
- Garden City Groundskeeping Services (project designed by Francine Larsen);
- Griffith Property Services Ltd. (project designed by George Griffith);
- Par-Bro Design Build Ltd.;
- Kreative Woodworking (project designed by Pino Prizzi);
- Seferian Design Group (project designed by Carolina Schmitz);
- GBC Design & Build (project designed by Mason Johnston); and
- CSL Group (project designed by Brian Bishop of Amec Foster Wheeler).
Entries for next year’s competition will open July 1 and close October 1.