Mass Timber Drafter/BIM Technician
Posted January 9, 2023
Who we are. At Mercer International Inc., our vision to be exceptional people creating bioproducts for a more sustainable world is being realized every day. We are a diversified global producer of forest products, bioproducts, and green electricity with operations in Canada, Germany, Australia, and the United States. We have a consolidated annual production capacity of approximately 2.2 million tonnes of kraft pulp and 550 million board feet of softwood lumber.
What we believe. We believe that a culture of diversity and inclusion is critical in making the best decisions for our people and achieving sustainable business success. Together, we encourage, support, and celebrate the diverse voices of our employees. We strive to provide an inclusive culture by fostering an environment of mutual respect, fairness, and by providing opportunities to contribute and grow.
We are looking for experienced Drafters / BIM Technicians passionate about mass timber design manufacture and assembly, to reinforce our team in Vancouver, BC.
In this role you will be working in the delivery of Mass Timber Projects from design through manufacture and assembly in all North America (US and Canada) but possibly also into other markets, being an active part on the development of Mercer Mass Timber group.
What you’ll do. Reporting directly to the Head of Engineering & VDC, the Mass Timber Drafter / BIM technician is a key position in the Mercer Mass Timber team. As a self-motivated individual, you have efficient communication skills and enjoy being a team player focused on attention to detail. You are comfortable with and able to work well in a deadline-oriented environment, including the ability to multitask and prioritize deadlines. With your commitment to continuous learning and comfort in asking questions, you seek to learn from others to gain more experience. You will be responsible to support colleague Engineers and BIM managers within the Mass Timber team. As we are growing the team and services offered by our Mass Timber group, this role will be evolving throughout the process.
Where you’ll work. As your primary place of work is the corporate office located in downtown Vancouver, we are looking for an individual living in or within commuting distance of our corporate office.
- Prepare and review technical submittals: BIM models, design submittals, shop drawings, etc.
- Work in and develop a team of Specialist Mass Timber Drafters, focused on a DfMA design approach applied to Mass Timber
- Develop and contribute to the team technical expertise, improve drafting resources and procedures, mentor junior Drafters
- Be passionate about design automation and parametric design/modelling
- Lead communication with junior Drafters and collaborate with Mercer Mass Timber group. Engage with external consultants as part of the Project Delivery team
- Estimate drafting needs for projects within an established timeline, reviewing and coordinating as necessary
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience: Min. 3 years’ experience as BIM manager or Drafter
- Academic: Architectural Technologist / CAD Technician / Graduate Structural Engineer
- Proven experience in Revit, BIM360 and Cadwork
- Experience in production and interpretation of structural drawings, i.e., has worked on projects and produced structural drawings
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Resilience, ability and desire to mentor, lead and grow the Drafting team
- Experience in Mass Timber projects in the North American and/or European markets
- Experience in VDC/ BIM 4D for site logistics and just-in-time delivery planning
- Experience in parametric design (Dynamo, Rhino, Grasshopper, Python, etc.)
- Experience in the DfMA process applied to the mass timber projects, including CAD/CAM fabrication software packages
- Pension and Benefits - We provide a competitive pension plan, with base contributions made by Mercer which can be supplemented with personal contributions matched by the company up to a certain %.
- Our group benefits package, which has no waiting period, includes extended health and dental benefits, in addition to a Health Care Spending Account and a fitness allowance.
- Your salary will be commensurate with your education and experience.