Building Control Systems Technologist
Posted September 27, 2021
Work where you matter. At Vancouver Island University, we don't just hire employees; we hire people. Imagine a future with a job you love and a life you want to lead – imagine that future at Vancouver Island University. Consider becoming a part of our team, we are currently accepting applications for the permanent, full-time position, Building Control Systems Technologist.
We offer a solid compensation package that includes a comprehensive benefits plan; ample holiday time; professional development opportunities and a desirable pension plan that takes the worry out of retirement. As part of our campus community, you will work with supportive colleagues within an encouraging environment and be provided with tools and training that inspires and promotes learning. All while you enjoy the pace and quality of life on beautiful Vancouver Island.
The Building Control Systems Technologist plays a key role in ensuring the facility is able to run at optimal comfort and efficiency levels with minimal downtime. In this role, you will be responsible for proactively improving and maintaining an optimized campus building automation system for maximized energy efficiency, resulting in a healthy environment for building occupants. The incumbent will be the administrator for various other systems such as Kantech access control, exacqVision cameras and Delta enteliWEB DDC controls.
Regular duties include:
- Diagnose and correct energy monitoring and control system.
- Work with contractors to ensure optimal system performance during the tuning phase.
- Assist with the repair, installation, and troubleshooting of computer-based automation systems.
- Monitor and read energy meters to implement changes that reduce energy consumption, in coordination with Manager, Technical systems.
- Evaluate existing systems to determine where failure exists based on energy consumption and historical data.
- Establish and monitor scheduled replacement of equipment when obsolete or when a repair is ineffective to VIU standards.
- Monitor performance of heating, cooling, and other environmental control equipment utilizing the Delta Enteliweb building automation systems (BAS).
- Coordinate, instruct, and/or reprogram the system including adjustments and direct repairs to be made to establish and maintain a workable balance between equipment efficiency and environmental quality.
- Program building system controllers to operate as required using logic based functions, programming, and overall network programming/ configuration.
- Maintain and update CAD drawings for as-built purposes.
- Ensure compliance of operating systems and equipment within the applicable Workplace Safety & Health legislation and all Municipal, Provincial, and Federal codes and requirements. Recommend upgrade initiation when appropriate.
- Develop workflow automation to improve office efficiency and consistency.
- May require lifting, bending, and working in elevated areas utilizing scaffolding, etc, and working in confined spaces and enclosures.
- Programming of programmable logic controllers (PLCs), and BAS's general control language (GCL+).
- Provide sketches of field changes and discrepancies for engineering corrections and drawings.
- Respond to snow crew call-ins as needed.
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Systems Technology, Air Conditioning, Controls Engineering, Electronics, Electrical Technology, Instrumentation Technology, or a similar field from an appropriately accredited institution. Minimum three years of industry experience, or five years in servicing electronic and/or mechanical systems in HVAC industry. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of heating, refrigeration, electric, electronic, instrumentation, and building systems.
- Training and experience in the installation, operation, and maintenance of HVAC and Building Automation Systems (BAS).
- Demonstrated understanding of Computer and Systems Networking.
- Demonstrated ability to read blueprints and schematic drawings.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver's License.
It is currently a requirement of employment at VIU that all employees disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status. Employees who are unvaccinated or who choose not to disclose their vaccination status may be subject to secondary safety measures, including rapid testing.
View the full job description and apply online: https://careers.viu.ca/vacancy/building-control-systems-technologist-355337.html
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. VIU embraces the principle of employment equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and people of Indigenous descent.
The VIU community shares its collective gratitude with the Snuneymuxw, Quw’utsun, Tla’Amin, Snaw-naw-as and Qualicum First Nation on whose traditional, unceded territories we teach, learn, research, live and share knowledge. With hands raised to the original stewards of this place, we say Hay ch qa’ sii’em sieye’ yu mukw Mustimuxw.